Who We Are
1. VIRTUOSO PIANISTS BEFORE 1950 is a non-profit organization in JAPAN. Our website address is: https://virtuosobefore1950.org/
Your Rights, Our Obligations
2. VIRTUOSO PIANISTS BEFORE 1950 makes every effort to comply with applicable privacy and data protection laws and regulations.
3. We acknowledge and respect the rights of our users, customers, partners, and employees.
4. We will always collect and use your data fairly and transparently.
5. You have the right to the erasure of any data we hold on you, to amend your data, to restrict the use of your data to certain activities, to prevent us from processing any of your data, to request copies of your data in a format of your choice, and to transfer your data to another company.
6. These rights may be limited for the purposes of historical research, education, artistic endeavors, the fulfilment of legal obligations, and VIRTUOSO PIANISTS BEFORE 1950’s legitimate purpose.
7. After exercising your rights, such as to be forgotten, we cannot warrant that your data will not be collected again at some point in the future when such data will have been collected by fair, transparent, and legal means.
8. In the exercising of these rights, we will require proof of identity to ensure that we only alter or share the information of the person requesting it.
9. We will take all reasonable steps to comply with any data requests.
10. We will take the appropriate steps to keep your data safe according to industry standards.
11. You may make a complaint to, or request more information from, the email address shown on “About” page.
12. You also have the right to file a complaint via our SNS page.
What Information Will We Collect and How?
13. We will collect the information that you provide to us yourself upon registering for our services, adding items to “Bookmark”, posting comments on our sites, and when emailing our staff.
14. Data we may collect in the above manner includes username, email address, site behavior, and preferences. By providing this information to us, you consent to its collection, storage, and processing.
15. Via social media interaction, we may also collect information about your date of birth, your profile picture, and any other information you make publicly available for viewing on social media. By publishing such information, you consent to the viewing, collection, storage, and use of such data according to the terms and conditions of the social media platform.
16. We may actively collect data that has been made publicly-available. This includes information such as your name, email address and telephone number should that information be published on your company website or other publicly-available source. We will not monitor social media accounts of our employees.
17. Data we may collect from you automatically when you use our services include your Internet Protocol (IP) Address, the device and operating system you are using, your location, your browser, your language, what pages you visit and for how long, what you search for, and the referral links that brought you there. This information will not be associated with your name and we will not attempt to personally identify any user of our services through the analysis of such data. Since this information is not attributed to you individually, it cannot be provided to you upon request, amended, or deleted, as we will not be able to distinguish your information from that of another individual.
18. We may use tracking technologies and store cookies on your devices, to which you consent by using our services.
19. When you create an account with us, you will provide us with a password of your creation. This password will be stored in an encrypted form which is not visible to any VIRTUOSO PIANISTS BEFORE 1950 staff. We will not share your password with others.
20. If you provide us with information about other living individuals, please ensure that they have given their permission and that they accept the terms of this policy.
21. We will retain your information only as long as required by law, financial accounting, or the needs of running our business. All data which does not meet these requirements, or is deemed to be out-of-date or irrelevant, will be deleted at the earliest opportunity.
22. We will collect only the information that is required in order to comply with the law, to conduct proper financial accounting, and to successfully run our business.
23. We do not intentionally collect or store any personal data of minors. If you are under the age of 12, we request that you do not use or interact with our services without the consent of a parent or guardian.
How We Use Your Data
24. For the purposes of monitoring and fulfilling agreements for our cultural promotion activities, it is necessary to store relevant information relating to our visitors, partners, and staffs.
25. We may use your information to respond to emails you send in or communications you initiate.
26. We may use your information to send you promoting communications. All communications will include the opportunity for you to opt-out. VIRTUOSO PIANISTS BEFORE 1950 will adhere to the requirements set out in the applicable laws and regulations.
27. We may use your data to personalize our services, including interest-based advertising and remarketing.
28. We may use your data to analyze our services with the aim of improving how we work.
29. We may use your information in the enforcing of contracts, terms of service, legal obligations, and copyright ownership.
30. When storing or handling financial data, VIRTUOSO PIANISTS BEFORE 1950 complies with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard. VIRTUOSO PIANISTS BEFORE 1950 will make every effort to ensure that such data is shared only with third parties who are themselves compliant with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard, and to only share such information for accounting or fulfilment purposes.
32. We will not sell personal data to third parties, or purchase data from them.
33. Where we require the services of a third party in order to fulfil our obligations under an agreement or contract, or to monitor an agreement or contract, we may pass data to such parties. Where we act as a supplier, we may receive, process, and store data as required by our partner.
34. We may use third parties to analyze and improve our business on a consultancy basis. This may involve the sharing of personal data.
35. We will only share with third parties information that they require to carry out their tasks, and not information that is not required.
36. Third parties we share information with will not be permitted by contractual agreement to use the information for marketing purposes or to sell data to another party.
37. Certain third parties may be based outside of JAPAN.
38. VIRTUOSO PIANISTS BEFORE 1950 will make every effort to ensure that data is shared only with third parties who are themselves compliant with applicable privacy and data protection laws and regulations.
The Curating Collection
39. VIRTUOSO PIANISTS BEFORE 1950 curates music-related contents of historic importance. The images, sounds and metadata which make up the curating collection may contain personally-identifiable information, including special categories of information such as race, of people both living and dead.
40. The curating collection also contains images, sounds and the personal information of individuals who were minors at the time the images or sounds were taken or when the metadata was written.
41. Personal information contained in the archive may include: Names, sex or gender, town/city address, ages, descriptions, race or ethnicity, personal appearance, political affiliation, trade union membership, and sexual orientation. Much of this information is not explicitly stated in the database but can be inferred from the images or their context.
42. The original purpose of images, sounds and metadata of curating collection was for academic and artistic purposes.
43. The consent of individuals featured in this material is either implied by their participation in taking recordings, or consent was not required by the standards of the time in which the images or sounds were taken and/or data was collected, or for the purposes for which these activities were carried out.
44. We must weigh the rights of individuals against the damage caused to the integrity of the collection by hiding or deleting such data. We deem it to be in the public interest to retain and publish such information for the purposes of historical and academic research, education, and artistic endeavors.
45. We make our curating collection free-to-view online for the benefit of the public.
Policy last updated July 21, 2020